How do I create a course containing library content and link the course to an instructor’s course?
Create an Empty Course Shell
- After logging into OnCourse, locate the Manage categories and courses block.
- Click the Manage categories and courses link.
- Under the Course Categories heading, expand the Library Instruction menu item.
- Choose the semester the library course should be built in.
Under the semester heading, click the Create new course link.
Enter in the Course full name
The naming convention for library instruction courses is: Library Instruction: Subject-Course-Section: Instructor’s Last Name.
Example: Library Instruction: MATH-110-01: Melohusky
Enter in the Course short name
The naming convention for the course short name is: Subject/Course/Section/Semester/Year/LI
- Check the Course category drop down menu to be sure the course is loading into the correct semester.
- Press the Save and display button at the bottom of the page.
- The page will refresh and bring you to the Participants page.
- If you are not already enrolled in the course, press the Enroll users button on the upper right side of the page.
- From the Assign role menu, choose Instructor.
- Enter your last name in the Search field and press enter on your keyboard. Select your name.
- Press the Enroll users button.
Allow Guest Entry and Self Enrollment
From the Library Course page, locate the the green gear icon on the upper right hand side of the page. Click on the drop-down menu and select More.
Click on the Users tab.
- Click the Enrollment Methods link.
- Turn on Guest Access by clicking the eye in the Edit column.
- If the eye has a line through it, guest access is turned off
- Turn on Self enrollment by clicking the eye in the Edit column.
- Note: Self enrollment only needs to be turned on if the students will be completing a quiz or other submission type assignment.
- Return to the main course page.
- From the main course page, copy the url address of the course. This url address will be used in step #13 below.
Create a Library Block in the Instructor’s Course
- Return to your Dashboard by using the breadcrumb at the top of the page.
- Locate the Manage categories and courses block, and click the Manage categories and courses link.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and locate the “Search courses” field.
- Enter in the semester code and course name.
- Semester codes are Fall 30, JTerm 05, Spring 10, Summer 20 and must be placed after the four digit year when searching.
- Example: A Spring 2017 MATH-110 course would use the search term 201710-MATH-110-01
- It is helpful if you also include the section number since the instructor’s name will not appear with the course listing.
- In the search field, click on the the name of the course. Next, scroll down and click on View.
- On the main course page, in the top right-hand corner press the Turn editing on button.
- Locate the “Add a Block” block on the left hand menu and click on it. A pop-out menu will appear. Scroll down and choose HTML.
- A new block called HTML block will be created, press the gear button, called Actions if you hover over it.
- Choose Configure HTML Block.
- For HTML block title enter “Library Instruction Materials”
- In the Content field enter in “Click Here To Access Library Instruction Materials For (insert course name and section number here)"
Highlight the text and press the hyperlink button
- Paste in the course hyperlink copied from step #6 above into the Link URL field.
Check the “Open in a new window" box. Next, press Create link.
- Press Save changes.
- Make sure you know the course name and section number before you start.
There is no content with the specified labels