How do I add a link to a library resource like an article, ebook, or digital video in OnCourse?
**Note** To make links to these resources accessible the permalink must be used. Directions for obtaining the permalink are below.
- After locating the resource to share, obtain the permalink.
- Academic Video Online: copy the web address from your browser window. Paste the link into the External URL field in OnCourse. You do not need to prepend with the proxy URL.
- Ebook Central: On the detail page of the book, showing the citation information and table of contents, click on "Share Link to Book" in the left sidebar. A box will pop up with the stable URL.
- EBSCOhost: From the list of results, click the title of the relevant item to display the citation and abstract. On the right sidebar under Tools, select Permalink. A box will appear above the citation with the stable URL.
- Gale: From the list of results, click the title of the relevant item to display the citation and abstract (and full text if available). At the top, next to the search box, click the button labeled Bookmark. A pop-up box will appear with the stable URL.
- JSTOR: On the article, book, or journal page, copy and paste the "Stable URL" that appears just below the item title.
- Congressional Record: From the list of results, click the title of the relevant item to display the citation and abstract. In the Title Info section locate the Permalink . Copy the Permalink URL and paste it into the External URL field in OnCourse. You do not need to prepend with the proxy URL.
- Science Direct: From the list of results, click on the relevant article to display its page. Copy the DOI link appearing below the article's title and authors.
- Log on to OnCourse and access the course you would like to add the link to.
- Press the "Turn editing on" button on the upper right hand side of the main course page.
- In the section where the link should be, click the Add an activity or resource link.
- From the activities menu, scroll down and click on URL.
- The page will refresh and bring you to the settings of the URL tool.
- Enter a Name for your link.
- Paste the copied permalink for the library resource into the External URL field.
- Prepend the library’s proxy URL to the pasted permalink. In some cases, it may already be present.
- The proxy URL is Reed Library Database
- Press Save and return to course.
- Your link or video will automatically open in a new window. If needed, you can change these settings using the Appearance section.
There is no content with the specified labels